Sunday, September 22, 2013

The Dark Cloud

I am forever grateful for the people in my life who stand by me, give their ear when I need to vent, provide support and lend me strength when mine has run out. These wonderful people are in my real life and online life (and no less real of course). They are friends I see nearly everyday, hardly at all and family. 

I could never have survived grieving my twins with out them. I even learned to start to enjoy this new, surprising, pregnancy when I wasn't sure I could. And now that we have received unexpected news, I imagine I will continue to lean on them for strength and support.

A week ago we found out the results of our first trimester screening and the odds were not in our favor. True to our statistical bad luck, we confirmed what was feared...this baby boy has Downs Syndrome. On top of a scary diagnosis, the hormone levels and NT measurements can't get much worse. Paired with my crappy history of preterm labor, the outlook is kind of bleak. While my doctor tells us it is impossible to tell exactly how this baby will be affected, my instincts scream "prepare for the worst." My doctor also mentioned she would be surprised if I did not miscarry or if I made it to full term (or viably close)...but it is possible. Not exactly confidence inspiring. She is an amazing doctor and I know, despite how negative she sounds, she truly wants the best for us and never fails to be honest. I wouldn't want a doctor willing to tell me everything will be fine when that is unlikely.

Processing this news is an impossible task. I alternate between anger, numbness and tears. I am not sure how much more bad news I can take. After all we've been through and all we know could happen...it is too much. Thank goodness for a broad support network, therapy, an amazing husband and a smiley baby boy. All of them keep me (or remind me) to stay in the present and keep breathing.

I have more questions than there are answers. There is no way to know what is going to happen. I don't want to accept that, but I must learn how to. Come what may, the journey ahead is going to be difficult at best. 

I told a friend that I feel like Eeyore...where ever I go and what ever I do there is a dark cloud hanging over me. Sometimes it hangs back far enough I forget it is following me. Other times it is on top of me like a fog, and sometimes it is a lightening storm shocking me with every step. Whether it is grief, bad news or general crap circumstances...that cloud just won't go away. Thankfully my support network is my umbrella, providing a little bit of shelter from the storm. 






12 comments:

  1. Oh just so much for one mama, one family. Unfair doesn't even begin to describe it. Just wanting the very best for you guys. Sending you lots and lots and buckets of love,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't have said it better than Caroline. Buckets of love. Support and kindness your way. We stand with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my. That is so much to take in. Praying for peace and strength for you and tour little one. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending love as well.

    You've been through so much. I hate that one person must endure so much. But I'll say it again and again. All those babies are loved, no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciate your OB's straight-forwardness. I think it's better to be fed the facts than some sugar-coated version of the possibilities. And yet it's so scary and the cards you've been dealt are impossible to believe. :( I'm glad you're getting a little shelter from the storm, I just wish you've been spared this hurricane. :/

    thinking of you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just too much. I am incredibly sorry for your predicament and I really hope that this baby comes through with the best possible outcome. You deserve some happiness. Just hang in there and lean.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to read this! I'm sending you wishes for strength and hope. Vent when you need to, I haven't been following much lately, but now that fall is setting in, I feel the need to blog, or at least to read up. I'll be reading along, and will offer some comfort (I know it's not much) but know that we're all here for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way too much for anyone to deal with...sending many thoughts your way

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm praying for you guys. We were told Michael had a high risk for Downs and he was born genetically healthy. Because Bobby is autistic, I know there is a higher risk for Michael, but we will cross that bridge when we get there. Big hugs, lots of love, and holding you and your precious little boy in my heart,

    ReplyDelete