Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Snow Day

Today is a welcome break from school. I know I just started back last Thursday but it has been exhausting. Mostly emotionally, but the physical aspect of working with classes of children ages 5-7 is more demanding than you might imagine.

At least twice a day I am caught off guard by a student's reaction to my absence or the loss of my sons. Thank goodness I spoke with the social worker to have responses prepared but it is still a punch in the gut when a sweet kindergardener asks where my babies are or a 2nd grader says I am sorry your babies died. I was surprised that these moments, while heart-wrenching, do not cause the breakdown I thought would happen. Perhaps it is my need to nurture and protect my students. Of course if an adult says the same thing I loose it. I can't explain it really.

I feel like I have reached a strange place in my grieving process. I am not desperately seeking solace in books about grief or blogs, I am not as over-whelmed by my sadness, but I am not exactly sure what I am feeling either. It is kind of like feeling numb, but not in the same way I did right after my boys died. Sometimes it feels like denial because my life feels so surreal.

I am starting to feel "better" in general but I don't want to. I don't want to let go of my sadness... I want to feel more than this semi-numb, kind of ok feeling.

3 comments:

  1. Glad you were able to get a day to recharge a bit, I can't imagine how difficult it is to cope with your grief and also deal with the reactions of your students.
    I remember feeling similar in the past, grief is such a strange winding journey. Wishing you strength and better days in the future ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  2. You eloquently put into words exactly what I have been feeling lately. Thank you for that and hugs to you for better days as you settle back into your school routine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First time to your blog, and I am so sorry to read about your tragic loss. I can't even begin to imagine the pain. I hope you find the strength and peace you deserve...

    ReplyDelete